Sunday, January 3, 2010

Radical change


When I was 13, that was in 1970, my whole family moved to Brazil. That was also a kind of "time travel", because the mentality here corresponded to the metality in the 50's in Finland. For example, the taboo of virginity until marriage was still present.
Maybe for being a foreigner the matter of atheism basically was never a problem, but I didn't really talk about it either. To me it was so natural to be an atheist that I didn't see any reason to raise the subject.
I met my husband-to-be just two years later. It had been a short time since we started dating when, by influence of a friend, I went to a fortuneteller. This woman told me that there was no future with the boyfriend I currently had, and that I would meet my actual husband at the age of 19 (I was 15 ). Now, imagine if I had believed that! It ended up with us marrying 3 years later, and we have been married ever since. In December 2009 we had our 35th wedding anniversary.
Ou wedding gave rise to some discussion. I wasn't baptized and I made a clear point that I wouldn't do that to get married in church, so our wedding would only be civil.
Anyway, my father-in-law had a relative who was a pastor, and he agreed to marry us in spite of that. To tell the truth, my husband's family wasn't particularly religious; like many others they belonged to church just formally.
And I remained an atheist still for a long time after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment