Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I celebrate Christmas!

Many atheists think that they shouldn't celebrate Christmas out of "principle", as if it were wrong somehow. I think that's a mistake.


My parents were atheists, but they celebrated Christmas. Christmas in Scandinavia derives from the ancient Yule celebration (Jul, in Swedish), which was the winter Solstice celebration. They celebrated the return of the Sun, it's a fesival of Light. That's why we have candles and blaze. In the beginning it didn't have a Christian meaning, and you can also say that today most people don't celebrate Christmas in that sense. It's a tradition that is part of our culture, it's a time when families gather together and have fun.


I like it, from decorating the house, putting up the Christmas tree, creating a cozy environment with soft light, candles and appropriate music. All this bring me a feeling of well-being, of serenity, and I would never give that up.


I found out that Richard Dawkins himself celebrates Christmas and defends the habit. Not that I would behave any differently if he didn't, but I was pleased to know about it.



Of course there are many people who don't bring this tradition from their homes, and don't like Christmas. That's ok, nobody has to. I just think that nowadays we can attribute whatever meaning we want to these fesivities, each one shold do what brings him/her pleasure.

GOD JUL to everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment