Sunday, January 3, 2010

An atheist family

My parents also had only a civil marriage, and they never mentioned the matter of religion with their children. But as soon as I started going to Kindergarten the subject appeared. I, being only 4 years old, became evidently enchanted with all those nice stories that Auntie told about that man who was so kind and liked children so much (Jesus). I remember being very disappointed when they explained to me that there was no way for me to get to know him, because he had already died.

I went to Sunday School sometimes with a friend, and my parents never opposed. I only remember my father telling me that there were many "gods" and that this one was only one of the many mythologies tha existed. I was a theist for 4 years during my childhood, but when I was 8 a great anguish came over me, and I felt I couldn't believe any more. That's something quite serious for a child's mind, and I prayed as if I had to give an explanation to the god I had been taught to believe in. I even decided mentally that I would think about the matter again when I was 16. I ended up doing it only when I was 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment