Sunday, January 3, 2010

How I got to belong to church

Yeah, folks, I did that.
(I know I owe you an explanation about astrology, but I want to explain this part first.)
Before, some clarifying. I have already said that Finland has an official church, which is the Evangelic Lutheran Church, one of the so-called "historic" ones, derived directly from Martin Luther's Reform. I consider it one of the "lightest", and it was to this same church that my husband's family belonged to.
We lived at the time in a small town. Our neighbors, and owners of the house we rented, belonged to this same church. As the rural area was big, going to church on Sunday used to be a kind of social event for many people. I was in this deist phase which I already mentioned, my husband was a member, our children had been baptized, all part of the tradition. I also thought that through such an organization I could help doing some social work, so I decided to get baptized and "enter the club". A decisive factor was also that there was, at the time, a very progressive pastor, with a very advanced mentality, who stimulated interesting and up-to-date discussions.
But the pastor got transferred and there came another one with a mentality more alike the local one. And I soon realized that the women's gatherings weren't really very practical, mostly just tea and conversation. I was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment